Monday, August 07, 2006

Census Night - Woo Hoo!

It's census night in Australia and we have to tell the government who we are and what we do, and it's just drawn my attention yet again to the way in which I just never cooperate so that I can be neatly categorised. Left school in year 10, got a trade certificate in bricklaying, have no higher education, currently divide my time between freelance writing (I'm a sole trader), working in my clothing shop (I'm a company director... sounds nice but half the time we can't afford to pay ourselves even basic shop assistant rates), and doing food prep and service at the Sydney Opera House (I'm an employee)... like, my main job last week monetarily was the three days I cooked, I probably spent most of my time thinking about shop stuff, but my main job as far as interest and motivation goes is writing. It's completely pointless my filling the damn thing out. There should be a box to check that allows people like me to be exempt because information gathered about me is utterly useless. AND they've asked for the address of my main place of work last week. Who the hell knows the address of the Sydney Opera House?

Okay okay, the address is probably Bennelong Point, Sydney Harbour, I just felt like a bit of a rant. Don't like being asked so many questions that appear to have been designed solely to point out how not normal I am. Pricks.

3 comments:

Lee Bemrose said...

Me silly. I worked all weekend and have no idea what day of the week it is because my weekend will be this Wednesday, and it's not Census night at all because it's Monday night right now, not Tuesday night.

Apologies for all the confusion this post must have caused.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Confusion? I think you sound like most folks. Which makes you normal then? :-D

The Opera House is near the Coat Hanger, isn't it?

Lee Bemrose said...

Indeed it is. I'll be working long shifts there for the rest of the week. I'll try to remember to take the camera. I don't think I'll ever get used to how spectacular that part of the harbour is.