Wednesday, March 26, 2008

White Moth

Okay so this is a cack: I'm sitting here a few moments ago writing to someone and this amazing white moths flaps and struggles at the window and makes its way through the blinds. It flutters up and lands on the roof and I stop what I am writing to say something like "Whoa - this really white moth just came into the room. It's beautiful like a snowflake."

It doesn't bat about the light like other moths, it just sits there on the ceiling directly above my head. Is it looking at me? Why did it want to come inside and why did it land exactly above my head? What is it thinking?

I think maybe it's a good omen. I think maybe some good stuff is going to happen. I mean, it's landed right above my head. Oh goody.

Then I read up on what white moths represent.

Oh dear.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

You don't seem like the type of person to be superstitious. Don't worry, I'm sure nothing bad will happen! And I think that moths are kind of beautiful in their own ways. I was reading in a book last night about a woman who thought butterflies were ugly but couldn't say so since everyone seems to love them. She said they are just moths with 'colourful jackets' and that at least moths were honest with their plain colours of brown and white. I don't care, I still love butterflies and I don't think moths are that bad, either. There, I'm halfway to my first novel with this comment.

P.S. But just to be on the safe (superstitious) side, be watchful of anything about to fall on your head.

Lee Bemrose said...

You're right, I'm not all that superstitious. I let myself get that way sometimes because it's fun, but over all no, I wasn't all that totally freaked out by the white moth sitting so still directly above my head and staring at me with its death eyes while it whispered its white moth death wish down at me... I was fine.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

You shoulda lit a candle with a huge big fat flame, that woulda sort it out.