Monday, November 17, 2008

The Pig Iron People Review


Another of my diminutive theatre reviews. I would like to draw your attention to the line about Max Cullen. It is nonsense. It makes no sense. I fucked up in a way that perplexes me. The only explanation is that I was in the process of tweaking the line, I got distracted, and I didn't get around to finishing the tweaking.

Not good. Kinda funny, but not good.

Re previous post: Lots of laughs. Lots of goodness. I can still make her laugh, and that makes me happy. I bumped into my Silly and we had a good man-hug and agreed that we should hang out more often.

3 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Cultural cringe is well and kicking here. The first time I heard about it, I learnt that it was the Aussies who came up with it...I found that funny, that a place that [to me] is so vibrant creative-wise, suffers from cringe. If only folks there could know what riches they have, oh man!

Lee Bemrose said...

I'm not sure I unbderstand what you're saying, GG. I wasn't criticising the play because of cultural cringe - we have many excellent Australian plays put on by independent theatre companies. My criticism of this particular play was simply about the play's structure. On a superficial level, it was entertaining enough but if you dug deeper it was, to me, quite flawed. John Doyle is a very intelligent man, a very funny comedian and a good writer. As a playwright, on this occasion, I don't think he quite nailed it. That's got nothing to do with cultural cringe.

ridiculus_easy said...

i loved it. funny, wonderfully recognizable and ultimately tragic characters, great design. Doyle is a genious and his cast aren't far behind him.