Monday, October 10, 2005

Rudeness Becomes Me

Weekend was spent not doing much. Watched a couple of movies - I actually really enjoyed Spanglish, almost against my will. I really don't like Adam Sandler, and romantic comedies are for chicks, but bugger me if I didn't like it a lot. I just let myself turn into a big girl and really enjoyed it. I especially liked the bit where the Spanish woman altered all the little girl's clothing so that she could fit into the size 8 which her mother had cruelly bought knowing they would be too small. It was really touching... How wet am I? I may as well have been wearing fluffy slippers and eating icecream at a sleepover with my gal pals.

As I write this I am listening to John 00 Fleming's White Label Republic. It is excellent. Progressive and psytrance. There are two tracks in the middle of the second disc which he really shouldn't have included. I know the promoters who brought him out here last time. If I get introduced to him, I will probably tell him, "John - it's a good album, but you blew it with tracks 4 and 5 on the second disc. Next time you make a compilation, I'd be happy to give it a listen so that you don't make the same mistake again. No really - be happy to."

Thing is, that is exactly the kind of thing I do. Yesterday Tia (new name for my girlfriend because Tia Leonie was crazy but sexy in Spanglish) and I went to the bi weekly psytrance thing in town. Spur of the moment, weren't sure it was on because the last one was soooo quiet. But it was on and all the gang were there, and the promoter was happy to see us. He gave me a hug and said, "I promise it won't be shit this time." He said this because when he was setting up one time recently, it was quiet and we were early and I said to him, deadpan, "This is shit. I want my money back." Telling him his events were shit briefly became a running joke.

I appear to have a knack of saying the most offensive things and getting away with it. But I always worry that people will take it the wrong way. This was the source of all my worries last week. I got obsessed with insulting people. I couldn't stop. They individually laughed and knew I was joking, but it got really tiring. I was annoying the hell out of me. And it actually annoys me when I'm known for doing it and I say something nice and they get this half smile on their face, shake their head a bit and say, "What do you mean? I don't get it."

Sometimes I make an effort not to insult anyone. It's done in jest and I get away with it, but I don't really want to be known as an insulting smart ass... Although that reputation is better than being known as a weepy chick who likes romantic comedies.

Oh yeah - I was in accent heaven at the party last night too. Swedish accents, German and this really cute Asian girl with a Manchester accent. Love a good accent.

Hmm. Tracks 4 and 5 may be growing on me... Actually I take that back. Track 5 is crap. What were you thinking John?

No comments: